Puzzling Together Mixed Media Canvas
Posted by DecoArt on Sep 20th 2015
Piece together this simple, yet colorful, mixed media canvas with embellishments including puzzle pieces.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- #3 round brush
- hot glue gun
- 1/2" flat brush
- black permanent marker
- 12" x 12" canvas
- scrap cardboard or cardstock
- palette knife
- embellishments of choice
- 3D flowers
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Cover the canvas with Cobalt Teal Hue, Cobalt Turquoise Hue, Titanium White, and Phthalo Turquoise: Squirt one dime-sized drop of each paint color in the four corners of the canvas. Use a 1/2" flat brush to spread the paint covering approximately 1/4 of the canvas and blending with the adjoining colors. Use more paint to add color to the sides of the canvas.
- Place the Americana Gears & Cogs Stencil to the canvas and generously spray the canvas with White (Shimmer) Mister. Allow the canvas to dry completely laying on its back.
- Paint the upper left hand or darkest corner of the canvas generously with Crackle Paint.
- Fit together eight large puzzle pieces. Use the Gears & Cogs stencil with a palette knife to add White Modeling Paste onto the puzzle pieces.
- Coat the puzzle pieces with two coats of Titanium White and let dry. Once dry, coat two puzzle pieces in each of these colors: Phthalo Turquoise, Cobalt Turquoise Hue, Dioxazine Purple, and Primary Yellow.
- Use Dioxazine Purple, Titanium White, Primary Yellow, Green Gold, and Phthalo Turquoise to free-hand a variety of flowers and leaves onto the puzzle pieces.
- Use a finger with Phthalo Turquoise or Dioxazine Purple to rub around the edges of each puzzle piece to highlight the shapes.
- Use a finger with Silver (Metallic) to rub onto the textured areas.
- Spritz the bottom of the canvas with Turquoise (Shimmer) Mister by depressing the spray head just slightly.
- Use a hot glue gun to glue the assembled puzzle pieces onto the canvas.
- Cut out the wording from the pattern as desired.
- Apply a layer of Americana Crystal Glitter Decou-Page in the area where the text with be applied. Position the text, apply another layer of Decou-Page, and remove any wrinkles with a finger.
- Use a permanent marker to draw around each piece of the quote to make it stand out more on the canvas.
- Use a hot glue gun to adhere several smaller flowers and metal embellishments of your choice.