Brighten up any rainy day with this mixed media creation featuring Media Fluid Acrylics.
- water container
- transfer paper
- 1" flat brush
- #2 round brush
- #2 liner brush
- old book cover
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Use an old book cover from good will. Simply cut off the book cover with an x-acto blade. Rip some decorative paper into pieces and cover the side that you want to paint on. Once you have figured out the placement, adhere pieces with Matte Medium and the 1" flat brush.
- Using the 1" flat brush, cover the page with Green Gold. It is transparent and will let your paper pattern show through.
- Using the pattern, transfer the man with the umbrella using transfer paper and a pencil. Using a @2 liner brush, fill in the drawing with Burnt Umber.
- Put the Sunburst stencil over your piece and using a cosmetic sponge, sponge the design working around the man. Use Titanium White but don't put the paint on thick and it will have a distressed look.
- Using tracing paper, make a pattern for the hat, umbrella and tie. Simply trace the objects and then put the graphite side of the tracing paper on the back of the decorative paper and trace over the wrong side of the drawing. This transfers the drawing to the back of the paper so you won't have pencil lines. Cut out the shapes and stick them down with the 1/2" flat brush and Matte Medium.
- Fill in the head of the man using the #2 round brush. His hair color is English Red Oxide. The Face is Titanium White with just a touch of Primary Yellow and Primary Magenta. With the #2 liner brush, add White to the English red Oxide and make highlights on his mustache and hair. Color in his hand with the skin color and #2 liner brush.
- Add a little more Primary Magenta to the skin color and with the #2 liner brush, add rosy cheeks and a lip. Color his nose a little pinkish too. Wash the brush and put a little Cobalt Turquoise around his eyes.
- Fill in the whites of his eyes with the Titanium White and the #2 liner brush.
- With the #2 round brush, paint his suit Medium Gray 6. Add a tiny bit of Titanium White to the dirty brush and make some highlights on the suit. Use the suit paint color and the #2 liner brush to fill in the umbrella handle.
- Make a mixture of 1 part Titanium White and 1 part Cobalt Turquoise and using the #2 round brush, fill in his shirt. Save this color.
- Paint over the tie and umbrella with Vermilion. Add a little white to do shading and highlighting.
- With the 1" flat brush, use Green Gold to do a wash over the whole piece.
- With the #2 liner brush and the color you mixed for the shirt, put highlights various places. See photo.
- Using the #2 liner brush, draw lines around the edge of the picture with Burnt Umber. While paint is still wet, smear with your finger so it looks aged. Also add interest to you lines by making little accent marks.