Rock Painted Christmas Ornaments
Posted by DecoArt on Nov 25th 2018
Paint rocks into a trio of holiday ornaments with Americana® Acrylics.
- hot glue gun
- newspaper or dropcloth
- Christmas ornament caps in silver
Protect the work surface with a sheet of newspaper. Allow paint to fully dry between steps and when changing to a new color. Repeat with as many coats as needed to achieve the desired coverage.
- Wash the rocks and let them dry completely before painting.
- For the circular ornament: Paint the surface of the rock in Bahama Blue.
- Paint two slightly curved horizontal stripes on either side of the middle section.
- Using a fine tip brush, paint decorative shapes on either end of the rock in Silver (Metallic). Use the handle end of the paintbrush dipped in Silver (Metallic) to dab three small dots along the middle section.
- Using a fine tip brush, paint flower petals around each of the three Silver (Metallic) dots using Royal Fuchsia, each one similar to a small heart shape.
- For the oblong ornament: paint the surface of the rock in Royal Fuchsia.
- Paint two alternating curved vertical stripes in Bahama Blue.
- Dip the handle end of the paintbrush in Silver (Metallic) and dab a series of small dots along the center of each Royal Fuchsia stripe.
- Using a fine tip brush, paint decorative shapes along the length of the Bahama Blue stripes in Desert Turquoise.
- For the triangular-shaped ornament: paint the surface of the rock using Desert Turquoise.
- Paint an oval shape with pointed ends in the center of the rock using Royal Fuchsia.
- Paint alternating narrow horizontal stripes in Bahama Blue and Festive Green along the sides.
- Using a fine tip paintbrush, paint decorative details in the center using Silver (Metallic).
- For a finishing touch, add the ornament caps to the tops of each painted rock by first removing and discarding the cap wire loop.
- Apply a good amount of clear hot glue to the inside of each cap and quickly, yet carefully, press it firmly to the top of the painted rock ornament.
- Hold the cap in place until the glue sets. Repeat for all the rock painted ornaments.