Be jolly with this Santa gnome cone creating cute winter decorations using Americana® Acrylics.
- stylus or pencil
- papier mâché cone
- #4 flat brush
- tracing & transfer paper
- 1-1/2" Styrofoam ball
- 1/2" angle shader brush
- stipple brush
- makeup sponge
- 3/4" flat brush
- snowflake sky rubber stamp
- twinkle glitter
- #8 wave filbert brush
- 5/0 script liner brush
- Seal the cone with a coat of White Chalky Gesso.
- Basecoat the entire cone surface with Vintage Pink.
- Trace on the pattern. Stamp over the pink hat with the snowflake stamp loaded with Cotton Candy. (This is to create texture.) Shade the hat with Wild Berry. Basecoat the face with Mocha. Basecoat the beard and moustache with Colonial Blue.
- Shade the face with Raw Sienna. Deepen the shading with Burnt Sienna. Shade the beard and the moustache with Deep Midnight Blue. Float in a little Wild Berry into the corners by the hat and above the moustache for the cheeks.
- Use the wave filbert brush to paint in the first layer of the beard and moustache hair. (To use this brush, water the paint down slightly on the palette and work the paint into the brush so that the brush hairs separate.)
- Repeat the layer of hairs with Light Buttermilk.
- Repeat the hair layers again with Warm White. Finish with Snow White. Trace on the eyes. Repeat the same hair layers for the beard onto the eyebrows.
- Paint the base with Lamp Black for his boots. Line and dot the laces with Silver.
- Basecoat the eyes with Colonial Blue. Shade under the eyebrow with Deep Midnight Blue. Highlight along the bottom with Warm White. Paint the pupil with Lamp Black. Line the highlights with Snow White.
- Highlight the nose with Light Buttermilk. Line the highlight with Snow White. Paint the mouth with Lamp Black. Paint the bottom lip with Wild Berry. Line the highlight with Snow White. Stroke in additional hairs on the beard and the moustache with Snow White to define and shape.
- Add snow texture by applying Snow Writer to the hat band with a stipple brush. (See photo.)
- While the snow is still wet, sprinkle with twinkle glitter. Do the same for the Styrofoam ball that gets added to the top of the hat. Line and dot the snowflakes on the hat with Silver Matte Metallics.
- Varnish with Ultra-Matte Varnish.