"Santa Stop Here" Stocking Hanger
Posted by DecoArt on Dec 8th 2015
Let St. Nick know that you're waiting for him on a simple sign made with Americana Decor® Chalky Finish..
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- tape measure
- 1" chip brush
- staple gun
- wood glue
- cosmetic sponge
- clean cloth
- drill and small drill bit
- small nail and hammer
- embellishments of choice
- wooden board
- sawtooth picture hanger
- drawer knobs
- wooden frames
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Cut (4) 1"x 3"x 32"wooden boards. Cut (4) 1" x 2" x 12" wooden boards. Cut (1) 32" piece of wooden trim.
- Add a bead of wood glue on the long edges of the 32" pieces and lay them together. (Refer to photo.) Space out the (4) 12" pieces. Apply wood glue to each 12" piece and use staples to hold together.
- Attach sawtooth hooks to the back according to hook packaging instructions.
- Apply wood glue to the top edge of the sign. Lap the wooden trim onto the sign. Hold the time in place with several clamps. Nail the wooden trim to the top of the sign. Let dry.
- Once dry, paint the front of the sign and trim piece in Rouge.
- Using sandpaper, distress the edges of the sign. Wipe off sanding dust with a paper towel.
- Measure 5.25" from the side and 4.25" up from the bottom of the board and make a mark. From that mark, measure 10.5" across the board and make another mark. From that second mark, measure 10.5" and make the last mark. (These are drill holes for the knobs.)
- Before inserting the knobs, use the DecoArt Personally Yours Urban Ink Shadow Stencil to apply "Santa", "stop", and "here" over each hole that was just drilled. Use a cosmetic sponge and Everlasting. Be sure that the words are aligned and centered to the knob.
- Seal the entire piece with Americana Clear Crème Wax. Let dry. Once dry, buff with a clean cloth.
- Slip the knob through the holes and tighten.
- Paint the laser cut frames in New Life. Let dry. Once dry, distress with sandpaper and seal with Clear Crème Wax. Apply wood glue to the frames, and attach them to the sign, centered with the knob.
- Cut off 10' 8" of garland. Staple one end of the garland to the top end of the sign. Staple in several more spots across the top to hold in place. Once the end is reached, loop back until the garland is all used.
- Cut off 38" of ribbon and slip through the garland. Create a box and staple into place. Decorate with additional embellishments, as desired.