"Scatter Kindness As You Go" Art Journal Pages
Posted by DecoArt on May 4th 2015
This mixed media project combines inspiration and creativity in a colorful journal spread.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- 1/2" flat brush
- #5 round brush
- baby wipes
- #0 liner brush
- masking tape
- palette knife
- cosmetic sponges
- #2 fan brush
- journal book with watercolor pages
- Wired - Stampendous Stamp - NKCRS02
- white watercolor pencil
- Apply White Gesso to both journal pages.
- Put a quarter-sized puddle of White Tinting Base on the palette and add Quinacridone Red a little at a time until the mix is a vivid, medium value color.
- Repeat step 2 with Quinacridone Magenta and again with Quinacridone Violet.
- Using both vertical and horizontal strokes, apply the Quinacridone Violet mix in a few random areas. Repeat with the Quinacridone Magenta mix and then the Quinacridone Red mix, overlapping and blending the colors as you go.
- Load Translucent White on a wet #2 fan brush. Lightly stroke the brush across a paper towel to remove excess paint and randomly streak the pages using both horizontal and vertical strokes.
- Apply Cadmium Orange Hue using the diamond design from the Americana Retro Mod Stencil. Reposition the stencil often, using only portions of the design. Avoid the Quinacridone Violet areas and leave some open areas.
- Repeat step 6 in some of the empty areas using Quinacridone Magenta. Apply Quinacridone Magenta and a touch of Quinacridone Violet using the Andy Skinner Have Your Say Stencil in a few random areas.
- When dry, glaze a sheer layer of Quinacridone Magenta over portions of the design using a baby wipe.
- Mix a vivid pink using Translucent White and a touch of Quinacridone Red. Stencil random areas of circles using the template that comes with the Wired stamp set. Use Quinacridone Violet to stamp the circle and mesh design randomly on the pages.
- Using the mesh stamp without a block will allow you to use just portions of the stamp. Follow the method demonstrated [[here|https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tElUkr0M3Z8]].
- Stencil the words with Carbon Black.
- When using the Americana Whimsical Script Stencil, mark guidelines with a white watercolor pencil. (Hint: These lines make positioning the stencil easy. You have the choice of positioning the letters on the line or above and below the line. Use both methods in this design if you like.)
- To change up the wording, use a #0 liner brush with Carbon Black to fill in the bridges of the stencil and add width to portions of each letter to make the script bolder. Wipe away the guidelines with a baby wipe.
- Align the Americana Dandelion Stencil on the left side of the page. Spread White Modeling Paste over the stencil with a palette knife.
- Lift the stencil and allow to dry completely.
- Load Translucent White on a cosmetic sponge and pounce on the palette to remove most of the paint. Lightly skim in a circular motion over the dandelion image and in a wavy pattern to create the blowing effect. (Hint: Place masking tape over any of the scattered flowers on the stencil that you do not want to use. Be sure to clean the stencil immediately as the Modeling Paste will dry hard.)
- Use the #0 liner brush to outline on the left side and bottom of each letter with Titanium White. (Hint: Using Titanium White for this line work will create a bold line, while using Translucent White on the flowers and blowing effect will help create the sheer effect.)
- Apply a coat of Ultra-Matte Varnish on both pages. (Hint: Finishing with Ultra-Matte Varnish will prevent pages from sticking together.) Let dry completely.