Let your creativity take flight in this wall canvas made with Americana DecouPage and a flock of Americana Acrylics.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- stylus or pencil
- 1-1/2" flat brush
- black fine-point permanent marker
- tracing & transfer paper
- 24" x 30" canvas
- scrapbook papers of your choice; colors needed: blue, brown, light green, medium green, orange, red,
- small high-density foam trim roller
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Use photocopier to adjust pattern to fit surface.
- Trace and transfer pattern elements onto scrapbook papers. Use scissors to cut out shapes. (Refer to photo for element colors.)
- Pour puddle each of Turquoise Blue and Bahama Blue onto palette. Use 1 1/2" brush to dab roller randomly with each color. Roll onto canvas, varying directions as you work. (This will give background mottled appearance.) Add Blue Harbor on roller and apply on bottom right corner across bottom and left side areas. Add Foliage Green on roller and apply on larger area of left side, corner, and bottom. Continue loading roller and application of colors until you are satisfied with canvas.
- Decoupaging papers: Use brush to apply Americana Matte DecouPage Glue specific to area where you will be working. Immediately position paper piece and press into place. Use brush to apply more DecouPage over paper.
- Adhere paper shapes as follows: branch, leaves, bird, tail, beak, feathers on head, wing, breast, and hearts.
- When dry, apply additional coat of DecouPage over entire canvas.
- Side-load slightly dampened 3/4" flat brush with Ocean Blue. Shade around edges of bird body.
- Swirl small amount of Coral Blush on cheek area with dry brush.
- Use White 3D Opaque Writer to make swirl pattern on wing and dots on tail feathers.
- When swirls and dots are completely dry, mix Staining/Antiquing Medium 1:1 with Dark Chocolate. Brush mixture over wing and tail feathers. Wipe back with paper towel. (Any smudges around edges can be removed with baby wipe or lightly dampened paper towel.)
- When completely dry, use permanent pen to outline and to add dash lines and details.
- Mist entire canvas with Americana Matte Spray Sealer. Let dry between coats.