Decorate a scrapbook album cover to match any theme easily with DecoArt Media®.
- water container
- paper towels
- tracing paper
- transfer paper
- #6 flat brush
- craft glue
- #1 liner brush
- ultra-fine point black marker
- computer paper
- #1 round brush
- cosmetic sponges
- pen or pencil
- printed lettering
- 6" x 6" canvas album
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Quickly make random drops of Cobalt Teal Hue, Primary Magenta, Phthalo Turquoise, and Yellow Oxide on the album cover.
- Immediately use a brayer or old credit card to make two or three rolling motions until most of the cover is covered. (It is ok that the binding is not covered; we will do that next.) Wash the brayer or credit card.
- Use a #6 flat brush and load the brush separately using the same colors (Phthalo Turquoise, Primary Magenta, Yellow Oxide, and Cobalt Teal Hue) to fill in randomly around the binding. Rinse brush before switching colors and at the end.
- Place the Andy Skinner Whirlpool Stencil on the painted cover. Load a new cosmetic sponge with Yellow Oxide and lightly pounce over the entire stencil. Remove and wash the stencil.
- Use a pencil or pen and the tracing and transfer papers to trace and transfer the girl pattern to a piece of computer paper.
- Use a #1 round brush to mix of (1) part Titan Buff, a tiny drop of Primary Magenta, and a tiny drop of Yellow Oxide. Use the mix to fill in the girl's legs, face, and neck. Rinse brush.
- Use #1 round brush to mix (3) parts Titanium White with (1) part Primary Magenta. Use the mix to fill in the girl's hair. Rinse brush. Use the #1 liner brush to add another part or two of Titanium White to the previous mix. Use new mix to highlight the hair. Rinse brush.
- Use the #1 round brush to mix (1) Titanium White with (1) part Cobalt Teal Hue. Add a few drops of water to the mix and splatter over the cover as much or as little as you want. (This will be the rain.) Rinse brush.
- Use the #1 round brush to mix (2) parts Titanium White, (1) part Titan Buff, and (1) part Burnt Umber. Use this mix to fill in the jacket. Rinse brush. Use the #1 liner brush and Burnt Umber to outline the jacket and details. Rinse brush. Use the #1 round brush to mix (1) part Titanium White with (1) part Green Gold. Use mix to fill in the dress. Rinse brush. Use the #1 liner brush and Green Gold to add polka dots randomly. Rinse brush.
- Use the #6 flat brush to paint a separate piece of computer paper that is the width of the album. Use the #6 flat brush to water down Medium Grey Value 6 and make a wash on the paper. Without washing the brush, do the same thing with Cobalt Teal Hue just in some areas, so it looks like wet pavement. Rinse brush. Let dry.
- Once dry, cut out the painted pavement paper with scissors. Use a #6 flat brush and Americana Matte Decou-Page to adhere it to the bottom of the album and seal on top. Rinse brush.
- Use the #1 liner brush to mix of (2) parts Titanium White with (1) part Phthalo Turquoise. Use the mix to paint the mittens and bow. Rinse brush. Save this mix for future steps.
- Use the mix from step 12 to stencil on the umbrella from Andy Skinner's Accessories Stencil onto another sheet of computer paper using a clean cosmetic sponge. Wash stencil.
- On that same piece of computer paper, use a new cosmetic sponge to pounce on the chihuahua from the Andy Skinner Accessories Stencil using Yellow Oxide. Wash stencil.
- Use #1 round brush to mix (1) part Phthalo Turquoise with (2) parts Green Gold. Use the mix to paint the rain boots. Rinse brush. Use the #1 liner brush and Phthalo Turquoise to paint details to the bottom of the rain boots. Rinse brush.
- Cut a very small piece of jute for the dog's leash.
- Use the #1 liner brush and Titan Buff to paint the muzzle, chest, stomach, inside of ears, and paws. Rinse brush. Use the same brush with Green Gold to add a collar. Rinse brush. Use the same brush to add a dot of the mix from step 12 for the collar tag. Use the ultra-fine point marker to add the face and details to the dog's ears and the eye and smile on the girl.
- Use the #1 liner brush to mix two small drops of Titanium White with one tiny drop of Primary Magenta. Use the same brush and this mix to paint on the girl's eyebrow. Rinse brush. Use the Decou-Page to adhere the girl and chihuahua on the pavement and then adhere the umbrella overlapping the girl. Rinse brush.
- Choose to use these words below to print or find your own favorite fonts or favorite quote to print out on computer paper.
- Use a #6 flat brush to mix (3) parts Titanium White with (1) part Primary Magenta, then water down the mix to make a wash. Use the same brush to apply the wash over the printed words or quote. Rinse brush.
- Once quote or words are dry, use scissors to cut out each word separately in a rectangular shape. Use the #6 flat brush and Decou-Page to adhere the words or quote off to one side on the album. Rinse brush.
- Use the #1 liner brush and Primary Magenta to outline the words or quotes. Rinse brush. Use the ultra-fine point marker to outline the umbrella, girl, details, and chihuahua. Use the #1 round brush to water down Green Gold into a wash. Use the wash with the #1 round brush to add a halo/highlight around the girl, umbrella, and dog. Rinse brush.
- Use a craft glue or glue gun to adhere the jute for the leash from the girl's mitten to the dog's collar.
- Let dry completely.