Decorate any sports room or man cave with a sport-themed shelf using Americana® Decor Chalky Finishes.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- transfer paper
- painter's tape
- 2" chip brush
- 1/4" flat brush
- hand-sander or sandpaper
- shelf bracket
- #3 flat brush
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Print out the pattern. Line up the edges of the football shape and tape the pages together. Use the transfer paper to trace the football shape onto one end of the plywood board.
- Cut the football shape out with a jigsaw. Fold the pattern in half. Lay it at the end of the remaining board; trace and cut out the shelf. Lightly sand all of the edges of both plywood pieces to smooth out any rough surfaces.
- Paint the football shape front and both sides of the shelf with Rustic.
- Center the shelf on the football back. Place the brackets 3-3/4" from the end of the shelf; mark the bracket placement. Use a level and ruler to be sure the shelf will be straight and centered.
- Drill pilot holes for the brackets, taking care not to go all the way through the board. Attach the brackets to the shelf top first and then to the shelf backing.
- Paint the brackets with Rustic, including screws.
- Fold the stripe pattern as needed to make a seamless line across the football. Place the seam lines just at the edge of the shelf. Use the pattern to trace both of the football end stripes, one on each end.
- Use the folded football pattern to mark two parallel lines, about 1/2" wide, across the top for the stitching.
- Paint the end stripes and football stitch lines with Cotton Ball. Use a flat #3 brush to paint the vertical lines. Let dry. Once dry, seal the entire shelf and backing with Ultra-Matte Varnish.