Stand Out in the Crowd Journal Page
Posted by DecoArt on May 4th 2015
Be uniquely you with a mixed media journal page you create with DecoArt Media®.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- 3/4" flat brush
- 1/2" flat brush
- #5 round brush
- baby wipes
- #1 liner brush
- cosmetic sponge
- jumbo Peruvian Lily stamp
- journal book with watercolor pages
- #6 soft filbert brush
- laser paper
- spray adhesive
To apply a wash, thin paint slightly with water and apply a sheer layer of color.
Allow a wash to dry completely before adding another layer.
To glaze blended, sheer color in any area, load paint onto a baby wipe and apply by rubbing lightly in a circular motion.
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Apply White Gesso to both journal pages.
- Keeping the Americana Jacobean Floral Stencil in a vertical orientation, stencil the entire background on both pages using Diarylide Yellow.
- Repeat with Yellow Green Light, but this time keep the stencil in a horizontal orientation.
- Use Naphthol Red Light to stamp the scroll design over the background. Changing the direction of the stamp with each impression will create the best pattern. (Hint: You will have the best success using the method demonstrated [[here| https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tElUkr0M3Z8]].)
- Using a laser copy done on 32 lb. non-glossy laser paper, print off the quotation sheet. Cut out each word. Apply repositionable tape to the back of each word and temporarily position them on the pages.
- Apply a light coat of repositionable adhesive spray to the back of the mask figure from the Andy Skinner Vogue Stencil and place it where the “Stand out” figure will be.
- Use the #6 soft filbert brush to apply Payne's Grey around the figure, blending the outer edges, pouncing near the mask, and then lightly stroking the outer edge creating a nice blend.
- To paint the figures in the crowd, repeat step 7 using the Andy Skinner Vogue Stencil mask and Payne's Grey. Working from the bottom of the pages up, place the mask at varying levels for each figure.
- Remove the quotation papers and apply a wash of Primary Cyan over the entire page spread, leaving the main figure unpainted.
- Apply a wash of Cadmium Orange Hue to the main figure and a light wash of Translucent White to the other figures in the crowd.
- Adhere the words to the pages by applying a coat of Matte Medium to both the page and the back of the word. Place the words on the page and apply another coat of Matte Medium over them. (Brushing from the center toward the outer edges of the words will help eliminate air bubbles and wrinkles.)
- Add touches of color by glazing either Primary Cyan, Diarylide Yellow, or Naphthol Red here and there on the figures in the crowd. Let dry completely.
- When dry, use the #1 liner brush with Translucent White to loosely outline those figures and to accent the stamped design in their dresses. (Any imperfections in the liner work will only add interest to the design.)
- Use the #1 liner brush to outline the main figure and each word with Carbon Black.
- Underline each word with Cadmium Orange Hue.
- Use a baby wipe to lightly apply Quinacridrone Red along the outer edges of the pages.
- Apply a coat of Ultra-Matte Varnish on both pages. (Finishing with Ultra Matte Varnish will prevent pages from sticking together.) Let dry completely.