Turn an old metal teapot into a shabby chic vase. Perfect for hosting an elegant tea party.
- paper towels
- E6000 glue
- 1" chip brush
- small flat brush
- medium flat brush
- painters tape
- silver-plated platter
- silver-plated teapot
- lazy susan
Check your local thrift stores for inexpensive old silver-plated teapots and platters. This project works best with items with lots of decoration and ornamentation. Allow paint to dry fully between coats.
- Gather supplies.
- Wash teapot and platter prior to painting. Tarnish is ok, but the surfaces should be free from dirt and residue.
- Paint the body of the teapot and flat surface of the platter with Refreshing using the medium paint brush. Apply 2-3 coats as needed. I painted the inside of the lid and a few inches of the inside of the pot that might show if left open.
- If desired, apply painters tape to the area around the spout, legs, and handle of the teapot and around the edge of the platter. Paint the edge of the platter and the legs, spout, and handle of the teapot in New Life using the smaller paint brush. Apply 2-3 coats as needed. When finished, carefully remove painters tape.
- With a course bristle brush, pick up a small amount of 24K gold paint. Wipe or dab the brush on a paper towel so that the brush is almost completely dry. With long strokes, brush the gold paint on the body of the teapot and flat surface of the platter. I focused on the rim of the teapot and its lid and the "corner" of the platter to add definition. In the same way, apply gold paint to the handle, spout, and legs of the teapot and the edge of the platter, highlighting the ornamentation.
- When I finished, I found there was more sparkle than I really wanted, so using the same dry-brushing technique, I re-applied a little Chalk paint in each color to make the gold highlights more subtle.
- If desired, add a few dots of E-6000 or other glue to each corner of the lazy susan and glue to the bottom of the platter for convenient access to condiments, salt and pepper shakers, napkins, and other dining essentials.