“The Artist in You” Mixed Media Canvas
Posted by DecoArt on Apr 9th 2019
Express "The Artist in You" with this step-by-step mixed media canvas made with DecoArt Media®.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- stylus or pencil
- 3/4" flat brush
- old book pages
- #6 round brush
- 1" painter's tape
- #12 flat brush
- ultra-fine point black marker
- palette knife
- white gel pen
- graphite paper
- stretched canvas
- cotton swabs
- charcoal pencil
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Paint the canvas with a 3/4” flat brush and Primary Yellow.
- Paint three sheets of book pages using Pyrrole Orange, Naphthol Red Light, and Cobalt Teal Hue, allowing the words to show through. Trace the flower patterns onto the painted book pages and cut out.
- Position the flowers and mannequin pattern. Adhere the flowers with Matte Decou-Page. Trace the mannequin and the word ART using graphite paper. Position the flowers and mannequin pattern. Adhere the flowers with Decou-Page. Trace the mannequin and the word ART using graphite paper.
- Tape the Vintage Keys stencil with painter's tape. Using a palette knife, spread Dimensional Effects over the stencils. Remove the stencils and clean. Allow the canvas to dry for four hours.
- Using a small round brush, begin to outline the right side of the mannequin with Naphthol Red Light. Dry-brush Pyrrole Orange on the whole body, allowing the Primary Yellow basecoat to show through.
- Add Yellow Green Light and Cobalt Teal Hue over areas painted in STEP 5. Paint the palette Naphthol Red Light and the paintbrush in Pyrrole Orange.
- Using a round brush, outline the red flower in Yellow Green Light, leaving 1/4” of the Primary Yellow basecoat showing. Repeat this step with the blue flower, using Pyrrole Orange, and the orange flower, using Yellow Green Light. Let dry. When dry, paint Cobalt Teal Hue around the red flower, then Cadmium Red Hue around the teal flower, and Cobalt Teal Hue around the orange flower.
- Outline the figure with an ultra-thin black marker. Outline the keys and the paper flower edges with a charcoal pencil; smudge with a cotton swab. Trace the quote with graphite paper, then use a small round brush to letter the words in Carbon Black. Also paint the word ART. When dry, go over the words with Titanium White.
- With wide flat brush, paint Cobalt Teal Hue to the right side of figure and around the red and orange flowers. Use Cadmium Red Hue around the teal flower and toward the figure, leaving a 1/4” of yellow. Add Carbon Black as a shadow to the figure. Highlight the keys with Primary Yellow. Paint the brush using Cobalt Teal Hue, Yellow Green Light, and Cadmium Red Hue.
- Using a white gel pen, write small wording to go around the figure. (The words used: Inspire, Do it, Dream Big, Enjoy the Journey, Called to Create, passion). Add detail around the flowers with the pen. Spray the finished dry canvas with Matte Spray Finish.