Explore new ideas and discover your talents with this mixed media creation.
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- tracing paper
- transfer paper
- #2 round brush
- #6 flat brush
- #10 flat brush
- baby wipes
- cosmetic sponge
- #10/0 liner brush
- black stamp pad
- watercolor paper
- Stampendous Stamps- Discover Today
- stamp of choice
Let dry between steps. Apply shading and highlighting using your favorite method (ex: dry brushing, glazing)
- If a smoother surface is preferred, cut a 6"x6" piece of watercolor paper and adhere to canvas using Matte Medium, smoothing from the center out. When dry, also apply Matte Medium to the top of the paper.
- Using a folded baby wipe, apply colors in irregular shapes in a circular motion. Apply Primary Cyan from the upper right corner and Primary Magenta inward from the lower left corner, not allowing them to touch. When dry, apply Primary Yellow between the two colors, overlapping and blending them together.
- Print pattern and trace onto tracing paper. Trace basic outline of figure using grey transfer paper. Use #10 flat brush and Gesso to paint entire figure. Add Quinacridone Gold to Tinting Base in small amounts until you achieve desired flesh color. Use mix to basecoat face and neck. When dry, transfer face, hair, and dress patterns.
- Add a touch of Flesh Mix to Burnt Sienna and use #6 flat to apply on recessed areas of face and neck. Use Titanium White to highlight facial areas that protrude.
- Use liner brush and Titanium White for whites of eyes and Titanium White and Primary Cyan for irises. Use liner brush and Primary Cyan to outline irises.
- Use liner brush and Carbon Black to paint pupils, line upper lashes, and eyebrows. When dried, wash a small amount of black under eyelid to create depth. Highlight pupil with Titanium White. When dry, paint small wash of Carbon Black across entire eyeball.
- Highlight eyes with small dots of Titanium White. Dry brush a mix of Primary Magenta and Titanium White to cheeks and use same mix to basecoat the lips. Shade bottom of lips with Primary Magenta, then outline with Primary Magenta and Carbon Black. Highlight lower lip and cheek bones with Titanium White.
- Use #6 flat brush and Carbon Black to paint hair. Use #2 round to paint stripes on shirt. Use same brush and Primary Magenta to line neck of shirt. Use #6 flat brush to basecoat dress with Cobalt Blue and Titanium white.
- Use #2 round brush to create lines for hair using Primary Cyan and a little white. Use Cobalt blue to shade the dress under the waist and outer top edges. Use liner brush and black to outline shirt.
- Cut out girl from original paper pattern and place it over painted girl. Using Primary Cyan and Titanium White, randomly stamp the scratched paint pattern from Industrial Stamp around canvas. Using Translucent White, randomly stencil bits of Shredded stencil around canvas. Splatter a Carbon Black thinned with water, using stiff bristled brush. Remove paper pattern.
- Stamp saying from Discover Today using black stamp pad. Use liner brush and Carbon Black to apply a shaky broken line border around canvas.
- Apply several coats of Ultra Matte Varnish to protect work. Let dry between coats.