Transitional Holiday to Winter Sign
Posted by DecoArt on Dec 8th 2015
Hang signs of the season with Americana® Multi-Surface Acrylics and Americana® Acrylics.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- 1" flat brush
- #0 liner brush
- cosmetic sponge
- small round brush
- craft adhesive
- white transfer paper
- Silhouette electronic cutting machine
- wooden board
- wood stain
- 1/2" chisel brush
- eye hook
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Stain a pine board with a wood stain of choice, following the stain packaging instructions.
- Dry-brush Red Barn onto the board. (Use very little paint and tap off the excess paint onto a paper towel.)
- Using white transfer paper, transfer the tree pattern onto the left side of the board with a pencil. Paint the trunk of the tree with Charcoal Grey.
- Add a nickel size drop of Irish Moss and Forest Green right next to each other on the palette or plastic plate. Dip the 1/2" chisel tip brush where the two colors meet and swipe the brush back and forth on the palette or plastic plate a couple of times to blend the paints on the brush.
- Brush the boughs on the tree with the blended paint. Reapply paint to the brush as described in the previous step, making sure to keep the same color on the same side of the brush. (I.e., Irish Moss is always at the tip of the chisel while Forest Green is always at the back of the chisel.) Paint the star with Gold (Metallic).
- Use white transfer paper and a pencil to transfer the Christmas lights pattern onto the right side of the board.
- Use a liner brush and a small round brush to paint the string of lights and light bulbs in Cotton Ball.
- Paint in the bulbs with Bright Yellow, Cobalt, Berry Red, and Irish Moss.
- Cut out the provided wording file using a Silhouette machine on vinyl. Position on the board. Apply a layer of Matte Medium to help seal the stencil to the board. Using a sponge, dab Desert Sand inside the lettering. Let dry. Once dry, dab on Gold (Metallic). Remove the vinyl stencil.
- Coat the entire board with DuraClear Gloss Varnish.
- Flip the board over to the other side. Apply the vinyl letters from the provided file. (Refer to photo.) Coat with a layer of Matte Medium to seal the vinyl to the board.
- Dry-brush Cotton Ball onto the board using a 1" flat brush. Let dry. Once dry, dry-brush on Whispering Turquoise.
- Use the snowflake Silhouette download [[snowflake| https://www.silhouettedesignstore.com/view-shape/5454]] to cut two large snowflake clusters onto vinyl. Apply the vinyl onto the board. Apply a layer of Matte Medium to the vinyl to seal.
- Using a cosmetic sponge, dab on Prussian Blue over the vinyl. Let dry. Once dry, apply Crystal Craft Twinkles onto the snowflakes. Remove the vinyl.
- Use a liner brush with Cotton Ball to paint the outline of the lettering.
- Seal with DuraClear Gloss Varnish.
- Screw the two eye screws into the top of the board approximately 1" from each end.
- Cut three pieces of twine 3' long. Thread the ends of all three pieces of twine through one of the eye hooks and tie it into a knot. Braid the length of twine. Insert the other end of the twine through the other eye hook and tie it into a knot. Use scissors to trim off the twine evenly with the knot. Apply craft adhesive onto the knot and cut the ends of twine to keep the knot from coming loose.
DOWNLOADSChristmas Light Pattern
Christmas Tree Pattern
Word Art Cut File