Repurpose an old cabinet door into a vintage welcome sign with Americana Decor® Chalky Finish and Americana Decou-Page Photo Transfer Medium.
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- soft cloth
- stencil adhesive
- cutting surface
- sanding sponge
- 1" sponge brush
- craft knife
- 1" angle brush
- 1" pouncer
- printed images
- spray adhesive
- wooden cabinet door
Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Wipe the cabinet door down and sand off any loose paint.
- With a 1” angle brush, paint the door with Lace, leaving some areas unpainted to create an aged look.
- Randomly apply Crackle Medium over the solidly painted areas with a 1” sponge brush.
- Once the Crackle Medium is dry, apply a coat of Lace.
- Lightly sand the entire surface.
- Print out the desired images with a laser printer. (Be sure to flip the images.) Cut the images out leaving a small halo or border.
- Arrange them on the door to determine placement.
- Trim any overlap with a craft knife.
- With a 1” sponge brush, apply a generous and even layer of Americana Decou-Page Photo Transfer Medium to the front of one of the images. (Be careful not to get the Photo Transfer Medium on the back of the image.)
- Quickly lay the image wet side down onto the door and smooth down, removing any bubbles. Repeat with the other images. Let the door dry for eight hours.
- Using a sponge, wet the image.
- Gently rub the image surface to remove the paper. Do not over-work, or you may lift the image.
- When the images are dry, repeat wetting and rubbing the paper. (This may require repetition of this step to remove the paper fibers.) As an option, you can use the rough side of the sponge to gently scrub off the remaining traces of paper.
- Print out the “Welcome” and, with a craft knife, carefully cut out the letters. (Keep the letters “e’ and “o” and their centers to help with alignment later.)
- Lightly spray the back of the stencil and the centers of the “e”s and the “o” with a spray adhesive.
- Position the "Welcome" stencil on the door and apply Carbon with a 1” sponge pouncer.
- With the Waxing & Finishing Brush, apply a light coat of Clear Crème Wax over the entire door.
- With the Waxing & Finishing Brush, apply a light coat of Golden Brown Crème Wax over the door surface as desired.