Vintage Wrought Iron Table and Chairs Update
Posted by DecoArt on May 1st 2017
Upcycle a lovely patio set for your backyard using DecoArt Curb Appeal paint!
- staple gun
- foam roller brush
- assorted fabrics
- paint brush
- I loved the style of these vintage wrought iron chairs, but they needed an update. The chairs were in good condition overall, I was anxious to give them more color and a more modern look. The first step was to remove the fabric seat cushions, they were held on with just a few screws. Then the chairs were ready for painting.
- I used a small roller to apply the paint. The product I used was American Decor Curb Appeal Paint in Harbor Blue. The roller worked the best to cover the narrow surface area, then I touched up any additional bare spots with a small paint brush. The chairs really only needed one coat, but I gave it two coats for extra durability.
- I couldn't find a vintage table to go with the chairs, so I purchased a new cafe table instead. The table legs and parts were painted black right out of the box, and I decided to cover them with the same Harbor Blue paint to match the chairs.
- To cover the seats, I purchased 1 yard of 58" wide indoor/outdoor fabric. I placed the seat cushions upside down on the wrong side of the fabric, then trimmed the fabric to 4" around the cushion to have plenty of extra for stapling.
- Using a regular staple gun, the fabric was wrapped around the cushion. It's easiest to work with opposite sides to get a snug fit. By pulling the fabric snugly over top and bottom edges, they were stapled in place on the wrong side. It was easy to repeat the process on right and left sides. The corners required a bit of fabric folding to fit tightly around them. Extra fabric was trimmed 1" away from the staples.
- The seat cushions were screwed back on to the chairs as before. I did have to recover one seat twice because the pattern in the fabric was upside down. It was easy to remove the staples and reposition it. The Harbor Blue color looks amazing with the colors in the fabric. Just love those pink flamingos!
- This was an easy project to finish in just one weekend. The chairs are now out in the garden and I can't wait to sit outside and enjoy them!